Skip to jobs
Why is Berkshire a desirable place to live?
If you’re a fan of great food, quality transport links to London and across the UK and quaint villages – the royal county may be the perfect place to live.
In recent years, Berkshire has become a haven for Londoners looking for a manageable commute while enjoying a peaceful rural lifestyle. In the charming villages of Inkpen or Kintbury, you can visit markets selling local produce against the backdrop of the North Wessex Downs. Those looking for something a little bigger should visit Newbury and Basingstoke, two thriving market towns that have preserved their character in the face of modernisation. Both of these offer a short commute to London and convenient proximity by road and rail to the amenities of Reading.
What are living costs compared to London?
- The average rent of a one-bedroom apartment in Berkshire is £1,348 pcm, compared to £2043 pcm in central London
- The cost of living for a single person in Newbury is £775 pcm, compared to £932 pcm in central London
What are the transport links like?
The journey from Newbury to London Paddington Station takes 41 minutes, meaning the journey to London can take under one hour from Berkshire.
What are the schools like in the area?
Of the 99 registered schools in the area:
- 10 schools were rated outstanding in their last OFSTED inspection, 65 were rated good and 3 require improvement
- 14 are academies, 65 are maintained schools, 12 are independent, 7 are special educational needs schools and 1 are colleges
- 80 schools in Berkshire are primary schools, 30 are secondary schools and 22 are schools for those aged 16-18
Why choose a teaching job in Berkshire?
- Within commuting distance of London
- Excellent schools, both state and independent, in and around the area
- Offers a good quality of life in a rural environment for reasonable prices compared to London
Let us find your ideal job
At Engage Education our talented team have years of experience in recruiting within the education sector. We find skilled teachers, teaching assistants and other education professionals and match them to their dream roles.
We also provide specially tailored support to all our teaching staff throughout the recruitment process, helping them settle into their new jobs.
Latest Berkshire School Jobs