5th June 2023
What is the UK Graduate Visa?
What is a Graduate Visa?
A graduate visa is a post-study visa that is aimed at foreign students who are looking to work within the UK. The visa gives applicants permission to stay in the UK for at least two years after successfully completing a course of study in the UK. If they hold a PhD, they may be eligible for an additional year, taking it up to three years.
Am I eligible for the Graduate Visa?
To apply for a Graduate Visa, the following things must apply:
- You must be currently living in the UK
- Your current visa must be a Student visa or a Tier 4 (General) student visa
- You must have studied one of the following:
– A UK bachelor’s degree
– A Postgraduate degree
– Any other eligible course for a minimum period of time with your Student Visa or Tier 4 (General) Student Visa
– Any *PGCE/PGDE (level 7) programs will meet the requirements
- Your education provider needs to have told the Home Office you’ve successfully completed your course to prove your eligibility
*To apply for the Graduate visa you must be within the UK at the time you apply*
Who do we want to work with?
- We would like to work with you if you are a candidate that has already trained as a teacher in your home country and relocated to the UK to upskill.
- We want to work with candidates who have come to the UK to do their Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).
- If your role is within the field of education support staff and you trained in your home country and moved to the UK to upskill, we want to work with you.
- We are also looking to work with partners of graduate visa holders who have their PGCE or any equivalent qualification (Spouses and dependent partners can be sponsored on the graduate visa route).
What you can and can’t do with a Graduate Visa
- You can work in most jobs
- You can look for work
- You can be self-employed
- You can continue to live in the UK with your partner and any children if they are eligible
- You can travel abroad and return to the UK
- You can’t apply for most benefits or the State Pension
- You can’t work as a professional sportsperson
How to apply for the Graduate Visa
You need to apply online for a Graduate Visa, to begin the application you must prove your identity and provide any necessary supporting documents. Whilst your application is processing, you can’t travel outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man until you get a decision, otherwise, your application will be withdrawn.
After applying for your graduate visa, it will typically take around 8 weeks after you have proved your identity and provided your documents. If your application is delayed for any reason, you will be contacted. Staying in the UK whilst you wait for a decision is permitted.
Upon applying for the Graduate Visa, you will need to:
- Pay £715 for the application fee
- Pay for the health surcharge – typically £624 each year you’re in the UK
Register your interest in the Graduate Visa here and one of our friendly team will get in touch with you!
Recommended for you
Our National Tutoring Programme structure? As a Tuition Partner on the National...
- Become a Teacher
- 3 Min Read
On the 19th September, it is Youth Mental Health Day 2023 and...
- Become a Teacher
- 3 Min Read