12th September 2019
iPGCE: All you need to know
If you have a PGCEi – sometimes also known as an iPGCE – you are not automatically qualified to work as a teacher in the UK. In order to be a fully-qualified teacher in the UK you will need to complete a route to Qualified Teacher Status, or QTS. At Engage, we’ve helped thousands of teachers achieve their Qualified Teacher Status through the route that suits their circumstances best, and we’d like to help you, too.
PGCEi and QTS
What is a PGCEi?
A PGCEi is an online teaching postgraduate qualification that is awarded by a UK university. A PGCE is a Postgraduate Certificate of Education and the ‘i’ means “International”. A PGCEi on its own gives you the ability to teach in some countries, but in the UK you will also need QTS.
I have a PGCEi, what do I need to do to gain QTS?
If you are an experienced teacher with a degree, you can achieve QTS without having to do any further training. The assessment-only (AO) route allows you to demonstrate that you already meet all of the standards for QTS. You can do the AO route in the schools that we work with in the UK.
How can I apply for the assessment only route?
Engage Education can secure you a teaching post in a school on the understanding that in the second or third term you will complete the AO route to QTS with an accredited provider. (The provider is dependent on where the school is located.) Teachers applying for the AO route will need to have taught in at least 2 schools, early years and/or further education settings. There are a number of Universities, colleges, schools and SCITTs around the country that offer the assessment-only route to QTS.
What is typically involved in the AO route?
The assessment period for the assessment-only route to QTS is 12 weeks. During the 12 week assessment, you will:
- Complete a portfolio with evidence that you are able to meet all the Teachers Standards
- Have an initial assessment by an independent assessor to determine your competence against the Teaching Standards and consider your portfolio
- Have an additional visit from the assessor within 3 months, undertaking a full evaluation of the evidence portfolio, moderating that against the evidence collected from two full lesson observations from two different key stages and formal interviews with you and relevant staff from your school
- If deemed successful a formal recommendation will be made for the award of QTS
Am I eligible for the Assessment Only route?
- To qualify for the assesment-only route to QTS you must hold a degree or equivalent qualification granted by a United Kingdom institution or an equivalent degree or other qualification granted by a foreign institution
- You need to have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade 4 in GCSE English and Mathematics
- All those who intend to teach pupils aged 3 to 11 additionally need to have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade 4 in a GCSE science subject
- You should have taught for the equivalent of two years full time – all relevant teaching experience can be taken into account
- Lastly, you also need to have taught across two age ranges or key stages
All the above information can be found at www.gov.uk, please click here to see further information on the assessment-only route to QTS.
Why work with Engage Education?
- For our overseas teachers looking to relocate to the UK, we offer the extra cash injection you need to help you find your feet, with our £1,000 relocation bonus: £500 in term 1, £250 in term 2, and £250 in term 3.
Get set up:
- We sort the airport pickup – No getting lost here.
- Help you set up bank account – amazing how handy getting paid is.
- Show you the bits and pieces of the Visa process (If a visa is required).
- Sourcing your National Insurance number – You need one to be a legit UK resident.
- Help finding accommodation and introductions before you even get here.
- Internet! We give you the advice you need. Imagine a new home with no internet, no way.
- A dedicated support number – not sure about something? Got a question? Give us a call: 0333 150 8010
- Organised social events to help meet other teachers like you!
- A private Facebook group for related insights.
- Discounts and insights for shopping and entertainment.
- Exclusive holiday offers and trips, see Europe or the rest of the UK, it’s your call.
- Personalized plan including CPD training, induction and continuous development.
- Induction process – full day of essential insights, training and integration knowledge plus a smattering of fun.
Return to teaching in Europe
When you register with Engage, we’ll work with you to ensure your teaching route to the UK gives you all the necessary experience and qualifications to meet your goals and ambitions – wherever they take you next!
To receive more information on our services, you can subscribe to receive updates from The Reading Corner.