Are you eligible to work in England?

Eligibility to teach in England

Qualified Canadian teachers are highly desired in English schools, this opens the door to a fantastic opportunity for you to progress within your career and gain excellent internationally recognised experience. You will also benefit from free healthcare, higher pay and the opportunity to travel across the UK and Europe.

What are my visa options?

Canadian teachers require a visa when teaching in England, see below the different visa options:

  • Youth Mobility Visa

    This visa is for people aged between 18 and 30 years old, it will last for 2 years and you must apply for this visa 6 months before you travel.

  • Ancestry Visa

    This visa is for people who hold a Canadian or Commonwealth passport with grandparent born in the UK can get this visa. With this visa you can work, study and bring your partner or child. This visa lasts for 1 to 5 years.

  • Skilled Worker Visa

    This is a 1 to 5 year visa that allows you to stay in the UK to teach with an approved employer (school). This Visa has replaced the Tier 2 general work visa. You must have a confirmed job offer before you apply for this visa.

  • Family Visa

    This is a visa that allows you to stay in the UK for up to 3 years if you have a partner who is British or Irish.

  • Graduate Visa

    If you're a Canadian who has studied in the UK on a student visa, you will be eligible to transfer onto a graduate visa which extends your stay for a further 2 years.

Why should I work in England?

England has lots to offer Canadian teachers, an excellent education system, opportunities for progression and internationally recognised teaching experience, England is a great place to be if you love travelling as Europe is just on your doorstep.

Teaching in England is highly rewarding, working in diverse and exciting school environments. Did we mention the average salary in England for teachers is higher than it is in Canada?

Register with Engage Education today!

Are you ready to kickstart your teaching journey in the UK? Register with us today and one of our specialist consultants will be in touch to support you and discuss your options.

Related Articles