Teach in the UK • 2 Min read

6th December 2019

Have I got the rights to work in England?

There are lots of different ways to qualify to live and work in the UK. Whether through citizenship, visa, or sponsorship, at Engage we’ll be happy to help you check your eligibility for working rights in the UK. You are eligible to live and work in the UK if you meet any of the following requirements:

1. British or European Passport

If you currently hold, or have the rights to apply for, a British or Europan Passport you are automatically eligible for unlimited working rights in the UK.

2. Ancestry Visa

If you have a grandparent who was born in the UK and remains/remained a British citizen, an ancestry visa will allow you to live and work in the UK. Your spouse and children would then be able to get spousal and dependant visas.

3. Spousal Visa

If you are married or in a civil partnership, and your partner holds a British or European passport, or has been given UK working rights, you may be eligible for a spousal visa or EEA working permit.

4. Sponsorship

Sponsorship is an option for those who aren’t eligible for any other working rights in the UK. This route is generally available for experienced teachers in specific subject areas, such as Maths & Science.

Get in touch

If you aren’t sure if you are eligible to work in the UK, you can get in touch with our friendly local team, who are fully-trained and happy to talk you through the relocation process.

At Engage, we’re known for our happy teachers and unrivalled support programme. When you register with Engage, you’ll be contacted by one of our education relocation experts, who will work with you to set up your individual career plan for when you arrive in the UK.

To receive more information on our services, you can subscribe to receive updates from The Reading Corner.

Find out what teaching jobs in London Engage has to offer today!


Recommended for you

Sign up to the Engage newsletter for education insights.
South AfricaEnglishUSAIrelandCanadaAustraliaUnited Arabic Emirates