Am I Eligible?

Eligibility To Teach In The UK

Qualified American teachers are highly desired in well-funded British schools, which in turn offer a fantastic platform for you to progress in your career, and provide great internationally recognised experience. You will also enjoy free universal healthcare, higher pay, and the opportunity to discover the culture and history of the UK.

What are my visa options?


The sponsorship avenue to teaching in the UK is the most popular route for teachers relocating from the USA. Once we have secured a position with your preferred school for you, you can apply for a Tier 2 (General) visa in the UK. These visas are reserved for occupations where there is a shortage of workers in the UK, namely Physics, Science, and Math teachers.

Family Visa

If you have a parent, spouse, civil partner, or child who either holds a UK passport or who is already settled in the UK, you can start your teaching career in the UK on a family visa. With a family visa, you do not need to have already secured a role in the UK before you begin the relocation process, although we will get to work on finding a perfect position for you and putting you forward for online interviews before you arrive.

Qualifying Passports

If you have a British or EU passport, you can start working as a teacher in the UK right away. If you hold a passport from Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Saint Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis, St Vincent and The Grenadines, or Trinidad and Tobago and also have ancestry in the UK, you will also qualify to work as a teacher in the UK.

Differences between teaching in America and England

Are you thinking about making the move to teach in England? Read our blog post highlighting some of the differences in teaching conditions that you’ll experience when you make the move from America to England.


Engage in statistics

Since 2008 we have filled 210,993 teaching positions in the UK and counting. We have sourced 4,670 international teachers from countries outside of the UK.