Teach in the UK• 3 Min read

4th November 2020

Teaching Jobs In England: Questions To Ask When Applying For A Role Overseas

Teaching in England is an exciting possibility for American teachers looking to develop their career, especially with upcoming changes to the immigration system. (see below for more info on the changes coming in January 2021) As a leading agency recruiting from all over the world, we know our stuff when it comes to moving abroad to teach. Our consultants have helped hundreds of teachers relocate and are able to guide you through the whole process, from writing a great cover letter to your first day on the job. It’s vital that you ask the right questions of your agency or employer, whoever you are planning to work with.

Some of the most common questions and answers are listed below. Answers will vary dependant on your personal circumstances – speak to your Engage consultant for the most up-to-date info.

If you are still contemplating the move, there’s a nice read here on some of the benefits of moving to teach in the UK.

Are my qualifications recognized abroad?

Yes, as an American Teacher you can apply for Qualified Teacher Status in the UK. As long as you have a state teaching license or certificate you will be able to apply. It’s a relatively simple process which you can start from the UK Government website here.

Will my teaching experience be recognized when I return home?

The short answer is, possibly. Your time teaching in England will certainly be valuable for your career in the longer term. You’ll gain new skills and adding variety to your life experiences. It all depends on your school board if they want to acknowledge your time overseas on your return. Many school boards will ask for proof of your teaching experience abroad for seniority. We provide Statement of Service Letters for all of our Teachers when they complete their Teaching assignments. Should your school board not recognize your overseas experience you will still benefit from having international teaching experience on your resume.

How much is the pay?

The UK has a payscale that is publically available online. A newly graduated Teacher £ 25,714 to £ 32,157 depending on the area that you are teaching in. This is approximately $33,000 to $42,000 USD per year on the Main Pay Scale 1. You earn a higher salary depending on the number of years of experience that you have.

Will I be able to afford living there?

Yes! It’s very possible to live comfortably on a teachers salary. Along with travel costs, you’ll need to factor in accommodation, visa costs, insurance and living expenses when considering how to manage your finances abroad when you are teaching in England. You’ll also need to apply for a UK bank account in order to be paid through the UK’s PAYE system. Overall, the cost of living in the U.K. is 12.21% lower than in the United States. 

Our live vacancies map is a fantastic tool for exploring opportunities in the UK – click on individual areas to see information about rents, living costs, public transport and amenities for each Local Authority.

READ MORE: Getting Set Up In Your New Home

Will I need a visa?

Yes, unless you are a British or Irish Citizen you will need working rights for the UK. As of January 1st, 2021 the UK will have introduced a new visa that US Teachers can take advantage of. The new points-based system will mean that US Teachers that hold state teaching licenses will qualify for a Tier 2 Sponsorship visa. This is a very exciting development as previously only US Teachers with qualifications in Maths or Science could take advantage of sponsorship options.

Hopefully this article has given you a broad overview of some of the questions you need to ask of your agency or potential employer. As always, we are available to support our teachers, from our exceptional consultants to our unique partnership and development team we are perfectly placed to help you plan every aspect of your move

Ask The Experts

Sign up to start a conversation with one of our specialist consultants


Recommended for you

Sign up to the Engage newsletter for education insights.
USAEnglishIrelandCanadaAustraliaUnited Arabic EmiratesSouth Africa