Hiring Staff?  Recruit

Online Portal

Sign up


International• 3 Min read

17th October 2022

Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa

In recent years, the UK has made changes and enhancements to many different types of visas for the UK. One of the most important visa changes for teachers to be aware of is the changes made to the sponsorship pathway. As of January 2021, the previous sponsorship visa has become the Tier 2 Skilled Worker visa. 

What is the Tier 2 Skilled Worker visa and what are the requirements?

A Tier 2 Skilled Worker visa allows you to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job with an approved employer. If you are a teacher and aren’t able to get a Working Holiday Visa or Ancestry Visa then you could be eligible for a Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa. To be eligible for Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa you would need to meet the following requirements:

  • Have a job offer from a school (with a sponsorship licence)
  • Be offered a salary on the UK National Pay Scale for teachers 
  • Pay the application fee 
  • Pay the Immigration Health Surcharge Fee (find out more about the costs here)

In short, if you get a job offer from a school and are able to afford the total cost of the visa then you are eligible to live and work in the United Kingdom under the Tier 2 Skilled Worker visa.

If you are unsure of the type of visa you may need, you can check what type of visa you would need here!

These changes are an incredible opportunity for internationally trained teachers! If you have any questions or are interested in being considered for an interview please email kate.mills@engage-education.com for more information.

For more information on the Tier 2 Skilled Work visa visit https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa

Recommended for you