We are Engage• 3 Min read

15th October 2020

Coronavirus Support: Test And Trace Payments

As the situation changes, we endeavour to bring you the latest information to support our candidates and colleagues through the Coronavirus pandemic. The government has recently announced a new package of support schemes for individuals whose income is affected by COVID related restrictions. The Test And Trace Payment Program is just one of a number of government initiatives and it’s designed specifically to support individuals who have to self-isolate and therefore potentially miss out on paid work.

What is the Test and Trace Payment Programme?

From 28th September 2020, everyone is now legally required to self isolate if they have either received a positive test for COVID-19 or have been identified by NHS track and trace as being in close contact with someone who has. 

The Government has put a new support system in place for those on low incomes. The one-off payment of £500 can be claimed by anyone who is eligible and unable to gain any income whilst isolating for 14 days.

Who is eligible for the Track and Trace payment?

  • You must have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because you’ve tested positive for COVID-19, or because you have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive;
  • You must be employed or self-employed;
  • You are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result of self-isolating; and
  • You must be in receipt of one of the following: Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.

Who is responsible for making this payment?

Payments are made and claimed through your local authority, all local authorities will have their own system in place by 12th October. Anyone who has been required to isolate since 28th September 2020 onwards can claim a backdated payment if they are eligible.

How can you claim and what will you need?

If eligible, you’d need to contact your local authority (based on where you live) in order to claim.

In most cases, you’ll need to provide the following information;

  • your national insurance number
  • your full name
  • your date of birth
  • your contact telephone numbers including a working mobile number
  • full names, dates of birth and national insurance numbers for everyone living in your household
  • your current full address and postcode
  • details of benefits you receive and how much you get
  • details of your employment
  • your unique ID number as provided by the NHS Test & Trace

Please be aware, each local authority may have different policies for allocating these funds. You can find out which local authority you need to contact and what to do next here, on the official government website.

For further information about the latest support available to employees check out our post, Coronavirus Support: The Coronavirus Job Support Scheme.

Keeping Up With Supply

As things change, we are working alongside schools and supply teachers to meet demand. If you are looking for supply work, register with us now to hear about the latest opportunities


Recommended for you

Sign up to the Engage newsletter for education insights.
EnglishUSAIrelandCanadaAustraliaUnited Arabic EmiratesSouth Africa