So you’re all confirmed for iday, congratulations! Here’s a list of things you might need to prepare for your trip.
Costs covered at iday:
- Round trip flight to the UK
- Accommodation whilst in the UK
- All iday-related transportation requirements whilst in the UK
- Meals during the iday interview day and CPD workshop (breakfast is covered all week and school dinners are available Wednesday and Thursday)
Costs not covered at iday:
- Travel insurance
- Transportation to and from your designated airport before and after the trip
Iday CV – We’ll be asking you to complete our iday CV template. This is what we’ll use to send to the schools you’ll be interviewing with, so they can get to know a little about you before you sit down with them!
Flight details – You’ll receive your flight details approximately 1-2 weeks before the event.
What to bring:
- Laptop and adapter
- Relevant lesson plans
- Consider bringing items such as stickers, coloured pencils/pens, an object or short video on USB that you could use as an effective and engaging hook to your lesson
- Professional clothing for interviews and school visits
It is also a good idea, to call your cell phone provider and see if you can include an international package on your phone for the week to avoid long distance/roaming charges.
Day 1 – Arrive in the UK, check in to the hotel and spend the day looking around. We’ll have a meeting in the evening.
Day 2 – iday! We’ll all depart the hotel at 6.30am to get to the venue
Day 3 – Lesson planning workshop and results from your interviews – you’ll either be asked to teach a lesson, ask you for a second interview or make an offer!
Day 4 – School visits to your top choice
Day 5 – School visit to your second choice and offers!
Day 6 – Travel home
General interview tips:
- Do your homework, research the school and the area
- Act the part in your interviews
- Dress to impress
- Turn off your phone
- Make eye contact and use a firm handshake
- Never badmouth an ex-employer
- Try not to waffle
- Have some questions ready to ask
Keywords to keep in mind during interviews:
- Behaviour management – Positive Reinforcement / Rewards / Expectations / Code of Behaviour
- Outstanding Lesson – Differentiated / Active Learning / Guided Discovery / Engaging / Fun
Commonly asked questions:
- Experience with SEN / EAL students and how you appeal to all learners (lower ability and higher ability or gifted and talented)
- Qualities about yourself as a teacher – pick three points and talk about them in detail giving examples
- Know your child protection policy / Safeguarding policy
Finally, good luck! Use the resources available to you, your Talent Acquisition Consultant is on hand to help you through the entire iday process and beyond.